Friday, March 10, 2017

A Stubborn Zipper

After a long and emotional week, little Breckie brought his winter jacket to me asking for help with his zipper. I had thrown it in the wash a few days before and hung it back in the closet. 

I hadn't realized the zipper was completely jammed. Super stuck. The kind stuck where you know you will end up breaking the zipper or throwing away the jacket because you cannot see a way out. Virtually impossible. Beyond repair. 

I told him to grab another jacket and he ran out the door to play. I pried, yanked, and even used my teeth (sorry Dr. Dan!) for nearly ten minutes and decided I would come back to it after I took care of the dishes. 

Exhausted from everything, I collapsed on the couch and begin to work at this very stubborn zipper. After a few minutes I was beyond frustrated. In my utter exhaustion, I called out in a quiet voice "Help me, Lord" and literally just as I spoke those words, the zipper released and starting functioning 100 percent. I was awestruck. The Lord heard my cry over something so small and unimportant as a stupid zipper. He heard me in my despair, defeat, and unbearable pain. And He answered. 

It was a simple reminder that He is near. He knows our pain and is with us. Processing the loss of another baby is something I prayed we would never have to experience. To know the pain that lies ahead feels like too much. I prayed that our boys would never have to ask the questions they are asking today. I am weary and tired, and my God knows this. For that, I am grateful. In that, I can find some peace in this heavy and devastating road we are traveling. 

“Hear me, O God, when I cry; listen to my prayer. You are the One I will call when pushed to the edge, when my heart is faint.”
Psalm 61:1-2 VOICE



Image result for psalm 61 1-2

No comments: