Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Celebrating Great Papa's Life

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” - George S. Patton, Jr.

I have had several ideas for blog posts and lots of cute stories about the kids to share but I just haven't had the time or the energy to put pen to paper...or in this case my fingers to the keyboard.

But I just learned that my last living grandpa has left this earth so I thought it was a good time to reflect on his precious life. He lived for 91 years. A full life, no doubt. He also endured a lot of pain throughout his lifetime. He suffered from several health complications throughout his life including a stomach aneurysm that doctors didn't think he would pull through. But he always did - he was tough, stubborn, and a fighter, that's for sure!

He was funny. He loved to joke around and give everyone a hard time. He liked to give people nicknames, and dogs too! He always referred to Breckie as "Rock" which I only approved of because he was my Grandpa :-) He loved to talk hunting and enjoyed having "happy hour" and kicking a couple of beers back.

My Grandma is an angel. Up until this past June, she has cared for him as his health was failing. I don't ever remember hearing her complain. Not once. She was the reason he was able to live at home for so long. My Grandpa was blessed to have her as his wife.

Kids can truly comfort their parents in times such as these, and my Gavin has such a tender heart. He asked me why I was sad and then told me that Great Grandpa has his new body in Heaven and can do anything now! I wiped my tears away and told him he was absolutely right! Then he asked if he would get a hug from Jesus. Of course! Jesus was waiting with open arms when Grandpa arrived! I can't think of anything more comforting than knowing that this isn't the end for all those that give their lives to Christ. The best is yet to come and my Grandpa is experiencing the best right now!

We love you Great Papa and will miss you - until we meet again. God bless you!

The Birthday Boy - August 2012

Our last visit with Grandpa on Earth - Halloween 2012 

"Rock" and Great Papa and Papa at Easter 2012


“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.” John 10:27-29 

2 comments:

suchy said...

completely incredible and awesome as our kids help us realize what life is about and how our loved ones are really dealing with life!

So sorry for you and the life you are missing!

Shari Cordova said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandpa. Thank you for sharing these precious memories with all of us who care so much for your family. Our prayers are with you in this diffucult time.

The Cordova Family