Monday, February 22, 2010

Sleep is Good

Some kids are good sleepers from the time they were born. That definitley wasn't the case with our little man. We have ALWAYS struggled with sleep - naps, bedtime, it doesn't matter. We have used every sleep training method there is at least 100 times with G-man. Just when we have it down, another tooth would break through or another cold would hit and we would start all over. Last August, Gavin had a case of strep which was followed by some other crud. Since August was extremely busy with summer activities and with my surgery coming up in September, we didn't have the energy to work on it, so the struggle continued...Every night for the past 6 months, Nate and I have taken turns laying with G-man in his bed until he fell asleep. I'm talking at least 30-60 minutes. Most nights, we would fall asleep snuggled up next to him. Although part of us enjoyed the extra snuggle time that is getting harder to come by, it was definitley taking it's toll.

We have been talking about going back to the Waterpark of America for Easter and have been telling him that we can go when he falls asleep in his big boy bed all by himself. We would tell him that, but never push it too hard. Out of the blue tonight, he tells us he is going to go to bed all by himself. Really? Sounds like a great plan! So, I took him potty, brushed teeth, took vitamins, tucked him in with Ralph, Pup-Pup, and lamby, made him giggle, and told him his "Wilbur" story. Then, I kissed him on the forehead and walked out. Man, that felt weird. I hadn't been able to do that in months.

So, Nate and I sat out in the living room and stared at each other. It was quiet. There was no battle - no tears, no kicking, no screaming, no noise. Not normal! Just when I was thinking it was too good to be true, he called for me to come to his room. But, he only wanted another "friend" to sleep with. So, I got the stuffed elephant off of his shelf and gave him one more kiss.

I checked on him 20 minutes later and he was sleeping like an angel. Wow, I couldn't have planned this better if I tried. I think I'll take him to the pool this weekend if he keeps it up :-)

1 comment:

kala hjelle said...

Yay! Way to go, Gavin :) LaLa is SO PROUD OF YOU!!!