Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Life Lessons

I thought I would re-cap some simple life lessons that I took note of last week...none of it is rocket science, but it made me think on a different level. I guess we do get a little wiser with age.

A Clear Vision: It's not a matter of whether Gavin is getting glasses but how strong the presciption will be. We will go in next month to get his eyes dialted for more tests and to pick out frames. I am suprisingly okay with this. Like any other good parent, I just want what's best for my child. I told him that he will be able to see the big bucks before Daddy and Uncle Ryan with his new glasses on and he got pretty excited but probably won't fully understand until he starts wearing them. This is going to be a major adjustment for all of us. In the realm of things, this is just minor compared to what some others around us are dealing with. We all take a lot for granted so we really need remember to count our blessings and try not to sweat the small stuff!

Comfort Zones: I have never enjoyed speaking in front of a large group of people, but with my job, it comes with the territory. I found that I'm much more comfortable when I'm talking about something that I am knowledgeable about, otherwise I pretty much sound like a blubbering idiot. Recently, I had a new opportunity at work to facillitate a New Manager Assimilation session. I sat in and observed the trainer twice and then took it from there. Much to my suprise, I wasn't nervous and found myself feeling very natural in front of this group of 15-20 year veteran employees. When I shared my experience with 2 different co-workers, I got the same response, which was "oh, you're good at that kind of stuff!" and "you do really well speaking in front of a group." I seriously laughed out loud! Anway, the point is, you may not always realize what you're good at, but others around you notice. As I get older I find myself getting comfortable with routine because that's what's easy. I am looking forward to more of these opportunities that challenge me to step outside of my comfort zone!

Priceless Friendship: I was able to spend some quality time with one of my long-time cherished girl friends last week. I really hope that everyone has the opportunity to spend time with a friend that energizes, encourages, and completely understands them the way this person does for me. If you do, make sure you take the time to tell that person just how much they mean to you. And, make sure you MAKE the time to get together. True friendship like that is hard to come by and you know it's the real thing when you both walk away thinking you'd like to be more like the other person.

Relationship Woes: Nate had heard that the number one issue that couples fight about is money. Not hard to believe, I've heard that many times before too. Then, he went on to say how crazy that is because that is something we have never really fought about. I had never thought about that. He also expanded on that by telling me that the reason for that is probably due to the fact that I manage the money, consult him when necessary, and he doesn't ask many questions. Now, if only everything in our lives could be so easy! I think it is important for a couple to experience a healthy dose of conflict...it's the only way you learn how to work through things if something major comes your way. Too many times, couples hit a huge bump in the road and don't know how to get through it because they haven't hit any potholes before.
I hope to learn as much about life this week! I promise to share all my insights with you :-)

P.S. Night #2 of self-determined sleep training was a success! Go G-man!

No comments: