When I made the appointment, I specifically asked if there was anything I could do to prepare Gavin for his speech evaluation since he didn't exactly cooperate during his pre-school screening. I decided to tell him that we were just going to check out his new school and meet a nice lady named Joan who would show him some new toys and play some games with us.
When I picked him up at day-care, he was so excited. "What will she say about my glasses?" he asked, knowing that everyone who sees him in them comments on how handsome, smart, and grown-up he looks. "What will we play?" he wondered. I thought this time would be different. I thought he would cooperate. I thought he would talk. I thought WRONG.
Poor Joan tried for 30 minutes to get him to talk, to get him to say one word. There was some pointing, some nodding, but no sound. Afterwards, I asked Joan if this happened a lot. Her response was, "Well, it's happened before." She was sweet and understanding and decided that she would sneak into his classroom this fall to evaluate him.
As were walking out the door Gavin confirms, "Mom, I didn't talk to her." And proceeded to talk a mile a minute all the way back to day-care.
No comments:
Post a Comment