Monday, June 21, 2010

A Refreshing Cleanse

Spring time put me in a groove to de-clutter our home. We rented a storage shed for our over-flow of life and filled it full with furniture, baby clothes, toys, and unnecessary miscellaneous early in the year. After deciding not to put our house on the market, I refused to continue to pay rent to store things we didn't really need anyway and we hauled ALL the junk home. I think I saw the steam rolling from my husband's ears as we unloaded our second truck-load. He would have rather paid rent than to see all that junk piled back up in our home. I told him I had it all under control. And, I did.

I sorted through all the stuff, tote by tote, and found that I really didn't need or want hardly any of it. I spent many late nights marking garage sale items and posting stuff on Craig's List. I must say that I'm pretty happy with my progress. I literally got rid of more than half of what was in storage and then some. I was in a groove...I went through every drawer, closet, and cupboard in my house in search of more "stuff" to add to my "do not need" and "do not want" piles.

My garage sale was a success! A lot of work but it is so nice to get rid of things that are too good to throw away. I must say that I've had really good luck with Craig's List too, especially for the big items. In the last month, I've sold a toddler bed, two area rugs, a pair of closet doors, lawn mower, desk, and more. It felt so good and it actually put quite a bit of cash in my pocket to put towards some other projects that I've started.

You might think I'm crazy, but I found the whole experience to be refreshing and cleansing. It's just what my spirit needed!

My poor child is forever scarred by the whole experience. On more than one occasion he has brought something to me and said, "I think we should sell this Mommy because I don't really play with it anymore" or "That's broken, maybe we should sell it?"



P.S. In case you're wondering, I hung on to most of the baby stuff...couldn't part with it all just yet!!!

No comments: