Last Tuesday started out like any other weekday evening. Nate was going to be busy working in his Dad's shop so G-man and I weren't in that big of rush to get home. After I picked him up from day-care, we stopped by my friend, Samantha's house. Her and her sister were getting ready for a garage sale and I was given 1st shopping privileges. I sorted through the tables and found a few items that were too cute to pass up. Then we headed to Dairy Queen so I could treat Gavin to an Arctic Rush, his favorite summer refreshment.
When we got home, I ran in for a quick change of clothes and then to let the pups out of the kennel. We decided to go for a walk, so I walked both dogs while Gavin rode around the neighborhood on his new Buzz Light Year bike. I remember thinking that we have had such a fun summer, most of our evenings spent outside with the dogs, being active, and basically not attending to any sort of schedule. We stopped by the Rainbow Play System (that is offered to the little neighborhood community directly behind our house) or as Gavin refers to it, "the yellow slide." As he climbed the chain link ladder, I remember being more nervous than I usually am thinking "we don't need any broken bones." He went up and down like a champ a few times and was ready to get back on his bike. Gavin picked me 3 yellow flowers (or weeds) as he usually does and I casually chatted with our newest neighbor on our way back.
As we got back, my mind was taken over with all the things that I should really be doing inside. Then the cutest little three year old asked, "Mom, can we go on a little 4-wheeler ride?" "I don't know hun, we should really go inside and eat supper," I responded. "But, can't we just 'tool' around for a little bit?" he begged. Soon we were strapping on his helmet and my leg was jumping the kick start. We rode around the big loop, down to the dead end, and just as were came up to our driveway, we decided to make a trip up the hill to see our neighbor, Brian. We chatted with him a while and then were on our way home.
As we cruised back down the hill, we were much too close to the center line so I cranked it to the right just as we picked up speed. I felt the 4-wheeler tip as if we were going to roll so I braced it with my left leg. Just then, I heard a "pop, pop" and the next thing I knew I hit the pavement with my left arm and my bottom and I watched Gavin ever-so-calmly steer the ATV right into an approach as I yelled, "hit the brake, hit the brake!" He glided into a stop just as he was about to roll into a large bush. I told him to get off and then shut off the 4-wheeler. He did exactly what he was told. Then, he ran over to me and started to brush the gravel off of my back and in the sweetest little voice said, "Mommy, I am going to have to drive you home tonight...and probably sleep with you tonight too."
I couldn't move my leg at all. I did a quick search to see if anyone was around and just as panic was about to set in, I saw a neighbor running towards us asking if we were okay. He tried to get me up on my feet but no avail. I sat in the dirt, just shaking, wondering what to do. I begged him to go get our next door neighbor, Bob. And that he did. I was so relived to see Bob. He's the type of guy who doesn't panic, makes you feel safe, and reassures you that everything will be okay. A true father figure. A couple other passer-byers stopped just as Bob pulled up on his Kawasaki Mule. They decided that it wouldn't be good to have to move me twice so Bob took Gavin to get the car. Five minutes later, Bob pulled up with the car, my purse, and my son strapped in his car seat. Monica was keeping Gav's little mind at ease in the back seat. A couple of guys hoisted me into the front seat, which hurt like no other, and we were off to the Emergency Room.
Nate and the rest of his family met us there. X-Rays were taken and it was determined that I had suffered a level 5 (out of 6) parallel fracture on my tibia. I was admitted that evening to ensure I was able to control my pain. The next morning I had a CT scan and it was determined that an operation was necessary. That afternoon, I was rolled into surgery where they put 7 screws and large plate (yikes!) into my leg. I was released from the hospital on Saturday morning.
And, here I sit now. Waiting to recover. The emotions have been running high at our house. But I know that we're lucky, that it could have been worse, and the fact that my little boy is unharmed is truly a miracle.
No comments:
Post a Comment