Monday, January 16, 2012

Good Things Come to Those Who...

Wait? Wait on God? Pray? Pray for God's will to be done? Yes, I think so!

In the last few conversations with my dear friend, she tells me that I have to be the most patient person that she knows. I have a feeling my husband would laugh at that comment. I've heard it before though. Once from the lactation consultant at the hospital as my baby learned how to latch on and get the hang of nursing. And maybe from one other person that watched my struggle with secondary infertility. But my dear friend tells me this because she has witnessed all of the waiting that I've done over the last five years, which happens to be a lot. I was sharing some frustrations that my recent transition at work (which is going great, by the way) was taking so long and was wondering why I always have to go through a period of waiting before things fall into place for me. Not that I'm not grateful but just that I don't always appreciate the "character building" that I have to go through!

It's so hard to wait for things in today's world. We have everything at our fingertips and we want everything right now. Perhaps that's why Americans stuggle so bad with credit card debt? I read somewhere that you will make a better parent if you make your children want things for a while instead of just giving them everything they ask for right away. That's some great advice and can be really hard to do! Our Gavin wanted a Wii for the longest time. Santa finally brought us one this year and he was ecstatic...definitely worth the wait! As I type I wonder if this is how God feels when he is able to bless us with the things we've been praying for for so long. After all, He wants all the glory.

So maybe I do have some patience within me. I know it's in my genes...have you met my Dad, or my Grandma? They are literally two of the most patient people I know. I do know that it is a lot easier to be patient when you trust God. I could have jumped ship when I wasn't getting the promotion at work that I felt I deserved. We could have moved forward with infertility drugs when our doctor provided us with our plans to achieve a pregnancy. We could have put our house on the market when we wanted to move on to bigger and better things a few years ago. Somehow, those things just didn't feel right. I wonder where we would be with all of those things if we moved forward with them just because we wanted them so bad.

I use to think that Nate and I were really bad at making big decisions. It turns out that we're probably really good at them. We've learned to take time to weigh out all of the options, pray about it, and give it to God. And guess what? We've been so blessed! I love the quote below by John Ortberg...

"Biblically, waiting is not just something we have to do until we get what we want. Waiting is part of the process of becoming what God wants us to be." – John Ortberg


So VERY Blessed!


No comments: