Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Holiday Reflections...

As I began taking down all the decorations, I can't help but think how lucky we are to have made such wonderful memories this Christmas season. Gavin is at the perfect age...he loves everything that comes with Christmas and isn't asking for the most expensive gifts-yet. He enjoyed helping decorate the house, tree, and some holiday cookies this year. He even helped me wrap a few gifts. He was also very interested in learning even more about Jesus' Birthday and of course, we had to sing to him a few times. He sat on Santa's lap...there weren't any tears but no words were spoken either. When we got back in the car, he said two things to me. 1. "I didn't know Santa talked!" followed by 2. "I'm sorry I didn't smile Mommy." He just warms my heart.

The Kalina Christmas was also one to remember. Our family is actually getting big enough to rent a "hall" for our gathering. We had lots of fun helping the kids decorate gingerbread houses, playing scattegories, and doing the birdie dance. I can't help but think of the smile that my Grandpa had to have that day looking down on us...we sure miss him.

Ellie performed at the Christmas Dance Show again this year. It is quite a production and very entertaining. The Nativity Scene performance at the end was so powerful and I think everyone in the audience had chills! Ellie looked adorable and did an outstanding job!

The weather was quite frightful the week of Christmas with all of the snow we received. Luckily, we didn't have to travel too far.

The Betterman's hosted Christmas Eve at their house this year. We were presently surprised (ok, I totally had a hunch) with Ellie's big news-she is going to be a big sister! The news of this Christmas miracle was definitely the highlight of the evening! After endless gift opening, Dad presented us with the annual family game. Robbie, Angie, Nate, and I have so much fun going along with Dad's clever diddies each year. This year brought even more laughs than last and we even got mom and dad to partake in the fun!

We spent Christmas day with the Hjelle family. I don't think Grandma could fit anymore presents under that tree! It was fun to celebrate Griffin's first Christmas and watch the excitement of Lily, Eva, and Gavin rip into the gifts. There were lots of munchies and holiday goodies to be had. Grandma and Grandpa had a full house that night as we had a big family sleepover. The next morning was spent playing with some new games and gifts. I am so thankful we could all be together.

No comments: