Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mommy's Assignment

Whether I am ready to accept it or not, G-man is getting bigger, older, smarter, and of course, CUTER! Nate and I took him to his pre-school screening at Public Health this week. It was a really unique experience. I'd call it uncomfortable, frustrating, annoying, comforting, eye opening, and devastating to name a few.

We were brought into and 8x8 room with 2 other ladies, so it was crowded and uncomfortable. Gavin started getting grilled. "what's your name?" "how old are you?" "can you stack these blocks?" "how many blocks are there?" and on and on and on. Although I protest to label my child, he was being "shy." He refused to talk and when he did answer some of the questions, he turned to me and said it in the softest voice ever. This was not a true indication of his abilities. He is a little chatter box, once he warms up.

He cooperated with the hearing exam and passed with flying colors. Relief! The vision test was another story. Both eyes are a referral which means that we will need to see the eye doctor. And they recommended we do it as soon as possible. I was devastated and think he is just too little to have to wear glasses. Daddy wasn't too worried but he got his first pair when he was in Kindergarten...I got my first pair 2 years ago. We'll see what the doc says and will do whatever is best for our little man. When I think about the other things we could be dealing with, this isn't exactly the end of the world. And, I'm glad we caught it when we did.

We need to go back in a couple of months to repeat the part of the test he didn't cooperate with. The good part is that we will know what to expect. I also need to follow-up with the nurse on Monday. I got a message on Friday afternoon expressing another concern. Augh! She stated that she noticed that his tongue was protruding a little when he talked and was wondering if he has large tonsils. Apparently that can affect speech. So, after my exam with the flashlight, it appears that they look larger than normal, but my quick research tells me that it's not necessarily a reason to have them removed. I guess we'll see what the professionals say.

I'm glad we took him because we are aware of things that we didn't know before which is the whole point. However, I won't be referring to these assessments as a true indicator of G-man's abilities. I will follow-up with the results of the eye exam after our appointment. Wish us luck!

Mommy's assignment: start dealing with the fact that G-man will be a pre-schooler this fall.

1 comment:

kala hjelle said...

My little tiny baby Gavin is such a big boy now. I am so proud of him. I know how you feel about not relying on 'tests' to tell you how competent your kids are...Lily fails all kinds of tests, but I just remember that I know her better than anyone and tests don't take into account location, or new people, or lack of sleep, or colds, or this or that. I am sorry you had so many mixed emotions, but like you said- you got some info and information can only point us in better directions than we were going previously- even if it wasn't what we wanted to hear. I keep looking at my mousepad with him and Lily on it. How can he have grown up so fast? Love you all :)