Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Celebrating Grandma Dorothy

"To live in the hearts of those we love is never to die." Thomas Campbell

This morning we learned that Nate's Grandma passed away. After I processed the news, I began to think about how I was going to tell Gavin. Him and I have had several discussions about going to Heaven to be with Jesus one day but this would be his first experience dealing with death and I wanted to be sure that I delivered the news in such a way that he could understand and process in his little five year old mind.

So I sat on his bed this morning and said, "I have something to tell you buddy. Grandma Dorothy went to Heaven to be with Jesus last night." His response was, "Uh man,"  sounding very bummed. "Do you think she is still in her wheelchair?" I told him that she was able to walk now and was probably dancing with the angels. He got excited and then asked about "that big gray thing" (her oxygen tank). When I told him that she didn't need that anymore either, he told me he was happy for her. So am I!

The next thing on his mind was his camera. He asked where his camera was because he remembered that he had some pictures of her on it (how smart is he?!). Although the quality represents that of  a child's camera and a young photographer, it meant a lot to me that he captured her on his camera and kept it in his heart.


Photograph courtesy of Gavin - five years old

As the day went on, he had more questions like...what will happen to her wheelchair now that she doesn't need it? And what if Grandma saw Jesus and didn't know who he was? And will she miss us as much as we will miss her? I love.love.love his heart.

We were so fortunate that we were able to celebrate her 85th Birthday with her in August and I was able to capture some special photos with her and some of her great grandchildren.

Dorothy with the Hjelle Great Grandchildren


I've known Dorothy for as long as I've been dating Nate (since 1995 - crazy stuff) and thought of her as my Grandma too. She was always so sweet and loving and the love she had for her great grandchildren would beam off of her face when she saw them. She could never believe that our generation was able to raise children while working full-time. She was very proud.



Grandma meets Breck!


Gavin with Great Grandma - last Christmas together on Earth



We will miss you very much Grandma Dorothy - until we meet again!

No comments: