Sunday, November 27, 2011

My New Gig

“Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.” Confucius
 
I feel blessed to be part of a great company and one of the largest employers in the area. I appreciate the fact that the company is founded on Biblically based principles and offers opportunities for spiritual growth in the work place. That has had such a huge impact on my life.
 
Next week is my eight year anniversary. I work in the Human Resources department focusing most of my time on benefits administration, amongst other things. It's been a fun ride. It's been challenging, frustrating, and rewarding all at the same time. I knew it was time for something else. I needed to feel challenged again. I needed more. At one point, I thought I may have to leave the company for a better opportunity. I was wrong. I just needed some patience and a whole lotta trust in God - He kept me here for this very reason.
 
The opportunity presented itself at the end of August when I was asked to serve as the "HR Point Person" for Douglas Scientific. Douglas Scientific is a biotech company wholly owned by Douglas Machine. They are growing like crazy and doing some amazing things with their automated laboratory equipment. At the time, I didn't realize that "HR Point Person" meant another full-time job! For the last three months, I've been putting in crazy long hours, working from home at night, and even on my days off. It's been exhausting!
 
It was all worth it. Last month, I was asked to be the HR Administrator for Douglas Scientific on a full time basis beginning in 2012. This is a HUGE opportunity for me to expand my HR knowledge, work with a smaller employee base, maintain all of my benefits, and have serious potential for growth with a rapidly growing biotech company - all in Alexandria, MN. How cool is that?!
 
Now to find somebody to fill my old shoes and I can jump into these new shoes with BOTH feet! I'm just so thankful for this opportunity and look forward to spreading my wings!

No comments: