This summer has been crazy so I apologize for my beloved blog readers that I've left hanging. If we're connected on Facebook, there's a good chance you figured out that we're still around. Here's some highlights of what's been keeping the Hjelle's busy.
We listed our house! Yes, it's for real this time. We put it on the market the first of May after talking about it for the last three years. We decided we are getting way too cozy and need some more space to run and play (and store all these toys)! So it's been a part-time job keeping this place looking show ready with two little boys on my hands. Not to mention, searching for a new property to call home...Nate and I have had some interesting conversations (debates) on what it is we are actually looking for - he's all about sheds, acreage, and woods and I'm more focused on the home - you know the place where you actually live and sleep! Anyway, we've found some good compromises and potential solutions so I'm praying that the right property falls into place soon!
We have a pre-school graduate on our hands. Gavin finished his second year of pre-school at the end of May. We couldn't be more proud of the little man he's become. He's enjoyed school so much and is looking forward to Kindergarten this fall (tear-tear). He managed to complete both years with PERFECT attendance! Some people have told me that pre-school is overrated and too expensive but I can't tell you how much Gav's preschool education has prepared him with the skills and structure that is needed and expected for Kindergarten - you can't put a price tag on that!
We have a walker! Little Breck is finally mobile and it's a great thing. He is just so much more content now that he can chase his big brother around. He just turned 16 months this week and he's chatting up a storm. His famous word is "ball" and he's recently started to say milk, talk, no no, and baby. I was watching him play on Saturday evening and tears filled my eyes. Sometimes I still can't believe he is here and is all ours. God is so good!
My sweet 90 year old Grandpa broke his hip last month. His age, pacemaker, and low kidney function were obstacles for a surgical fix so he was moved to a nursing home where they are working to keep him comfortable as possible. Up until this point, he was living at home with my Grandma. This season of life is so difficult but in Gavin's words, "I know God will take care of Great Grandpa, just like he took care of Grandma Dorothy." Sweetest.boy.around.
I put my big girl pants on and took my first business trip by myself last month. I headed to Atlanta, Georgia to attend the Society for Human Resource Management's national annual conference. It was quite the event; over 13,000 HR professionals from 81 different countries. Keynote speakers included Condoleeza Rice, Tom Brokow, Jim Collins and others. We also enjoyed the entertainment of Jerry Seinfeld one night - he was such a riot! I came back with some new ideas to implement at work so I'd call it a successful learning opportunity!
Baseball, baseball, baseball is what it's been around here all summer. We signed Gavin up for a T-ball program at the Y and he LOVES it. It's so fun to see him participate and enjoy a sport so much. We're playing catch every night even if it's in the living room! Daddy is excited to be able to share one of his passions with his little boy and little brother will not be left out! I guess I better get use to this!
The daycare scene has also changed for us. We left our daycare provider of almost six years at the beginning of the summer. It was such a hard decision to make but with school approaching, we needed to make a change to coordinate Gavin's elementary school and his daycare (by the way that has yet to be determined and it's freaking me out a bit!) so we decided to hire my cousins, Abby and Megan, to nanny for us and it's been wonderful! It's such a good feeling when you know you're kids are in good hands and are having the summer of their lives. Trips to the beach, park, library and ice cream runs are quite common for the crew!
No comments:
Post a Comment