Saturday, September 11, 2010

One Short Year Ago...

One year ago today, I was wheeled into a cold operating room. I remember waking up in the recovery room and glancing at the clock. It was 1:15pm and I was taken into surgery a little after 8am for a 2-3 hour surgery. Panic struck as I moved my hand down towards my abdomen to check to see if something had gone wrong. You see, I was suppose to have 4-5 two inch incisions which would allow the Da Vinci Robotic System to remove the large fibroid without a major incision. There was a chance that a large incision would be needed if something went wrong and also the possibility that I would wake up to find out that I no longer had a uterus.

I immediately felt intense pain in my left shoulder and wondered if they had operated on the wrong patient. Pain in my shoulder was the last thing I was expecting. The pain intensified minute by minute...it was awful! I happened to fall into the 12% of patients that are blessed with post-surgery shoulder strap pain. The pain is a result of the gas that is pumped into your body during a laproscopic procedure.

Still having no idea how things actually "went" I laid there wondering if Nate, my Dad, and his Mom had known if I was okay. A few minutes later, the sweet Nurse Antsiest came up and grabbed my hand and said, " you did great sweetheart and in a few months, you can try to have another baby!" RELIEF!! The excruciating shoulder pain resulted in an overnight stay at the hospital. I took a week off of work and in a couple of months, I was finally feeling back to normal.

Looking back on this experience, I am so thankful. I am so thankful that I was referred to one of MN's best OBGYN's and that I was at one of the best hospitals in the state. I am thankful that everything went according to plan (for the most part). I am thankful that it is over and that the lowest point in my life is behind me and behind our family. Sometimes when you are in the midst of these circumstances you feel like you'll never get through it. It is so rewarding to look back after one year and acknowledge how much stronger I am today because of it all. Not only myself, but my faith and marriage as well. We made it!

"For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay." Habakkuk 2:3

No comments: