Nate and I pretty much discussed names as soon as we found out we were expecting. But why is it so hard to agree? A name is something that will be with a child the rest of their life and should not be taken lightly (in my opinion). In a way, it sort of defines who they are. I want to choose a name for our child that is:
- Easy to pronounce. With a last name like ours, it is almost a guarantee that it will be mis-pronounced. Why give our child a first name they will need to correct as well?
- Easy to spell. Have you seen the spelling of some of the latest names out there? I understand that people are trying to be different but I feel bad for the poor kids that have to learn how to some of these names!
- Not overused but not totally unique. My first name was super popular the year I was born. I had 6 girls in my 5th grade class with the same name. The first initial of my last name was pretty much connected to my first name during my school days. I really don't want that for our children, but I'm not (and Nate is definitely not) one that would choose a totally unique and cutting edge name either. I'd prefer to be somewhere in the middle.
- Meaningful. Especially the middle name. Gavin shares a middle name with Nate, which is also his Grandpa's first name. I love when names are carried through from generation to generation.
- Flows with the rest of the family's names. This is a new one for us! Now that we are adding a fourth name to our Christmas letter signature block (yippee!) we have to think of how it will flow with the rest of our names...Nate, Jessie, Gavin, and ? Oh and don't forget Bear and Ralph too! There are some names that we have tossed around and then tossed out for this very reason.
- Strong. Like I said before a child will carry his or her name throughout his life. I want to choose a name that will sound professional if our little one turns out to be a doctor or lawyer :-) When choosing Gavin's name, Nate pretended to be a sports announcer at a baseball game..."and now batting number one for the MN Twins...." I guess he was hoping our little boy would turn out to be an athlete! It worked and that's how we actually came to an agreement. We may just have to get the bull horn out.
- Nick name capable. I love nicknames and love the ability to call people something other than their full name. I love to call Gavin by his little nicknames: G-man, G, Gav, Gavster, Gavey, etc. However, I don't want to choose a name for my child only to call him/her something totally different.
There are a lot of requirements here, wouldn't you say? Of course, these are my opinions and you may disagree. I thought maybe if I defined our requirements, we'd have an easier time deciding. We'd love to hear what you think. Do you have any suggestions that may meet our criteria?
2 comments:
If I was going to have another baby- which there is a slim to none chance of that happening- I would have a Jack or a Jacob. Not sure that they fit your criteria, but just wanted to put my ideas in there since I won't get to use them :) Nice to know that no matter what name you choose, he is going to LOVED! Especially by his auntie! Good Luck!
Hmm, fun post! I love the name games too! Are you going to find out what you're having? That might make the name game a little easier. Names ARE so hard. We only agreed on one boy's name when I was pregnant with Emersyn---it was Carson and we still have it on our list for any future boy we may have. Are you looking for another "G" name??
Post a Comment