Friday, October 22, 2010

A Satisfactory Report

Nate and I attended our first ever parent/teacher conferences with Gavin's pre-school teacher this week. I must admit, I was pretty excited to get the chance to visit with her about how he is doing so far. I'm pretty sure I may not be this eager to get the report in a few years! We were excited about the things she had to say about our little pride and joy.

There are 12 kids in his class and he happens to be the oldest. She mentioned that he is a "very very good listener," (if only he could bring that skill home with him) and is really good at sharing toys. His favorite station to play at is the block table and he does a good job taking turns. She showed us a picture that he colored last week and we were impressed too! He used lots of different colors and did a really good job at staying in the lines. She did admit that he was pretty "shy" at first but has really been opening up. I was surprised when she told me that he actually participates when they sing songs! We were told that he is a great eater at snack time and scarfs down his food rather fast! He does a good job using a scissors, recognizes shapes, and knows which hook is his to hang his stuff on. Our hearts were warmed with her last comment, "I just love him, he is such a sweetheart!"

Overall, it was a satisfactory report! We are so happy that our little man is enjoying school as much as he is. He wants everyone to know that he is in pre-school and looks forward to going there each day! If you know Gavin at all, you know that he is a boy of few words in front of people he doesn't know very well. During a recent shopping trip to Wal-mart, the boys ran into a lady from one of Nate's accounts, and her family. Nate was busy talking to her kids, asking them how old they were and what grade they were in. Gavin was as quiet as a mouse and then piped up, "I go to pre-school!" Nate was flabbergasted! He wanted it to be known that he is in school too!

It's been really cool to see how much he enjoys learning. He wants to count everything! He counted the stairs last night on his way down to the garage. He will count how many grapes are left on his plate, lights on the ceiling in church, just about anything. He also spelt his entire first name all by himself tonight with his alpha magnets. Last week he told Nate that if there was an emergency, we had to call 9-1-1-1. Even though there was an extra one, I thought that was pretty good. I can only imagine how rewarding it must be for his teacher to watch all the things the kids in his class will learn in a year's time.

Nate and I are convinced that baby #2 will rock our little boat and turn out to be quite a handful...perhaps a climber, biter, chatterbox, or maybe a fierce combination of all of them!?!?

No comments: